Good news for osCommerce fans, osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 Release Candidate 1 was released early this month. If you're not an osCommerce user you're probably wondering what all the fuss is about a release candidate for the open source shopping cart. Consider this, osCommerce 2.2 first went public with Milestone 1 in early 2003 which means that the version 2.2 will be around for almost five years before it is considered "completed". In other words, an update of any kind to osCommerce is significant to it's developers and users alike.
This osCommerce release candidate also introduces a new name for the software titled "osCommerce Online Merchant". According to osCommerce, the new name helps strengthen their presence and marketing efforts for upcoming releases.
osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1 is "primarily a bug fix release for the 2.2 series and will be the last release made before the 2.2 release series is finalized". Certification of the payment modules included in this release which will be the only change for the final osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 release planned in the coming weeks. While no major features have been introduced with this release candidate, due to development efforts focused on the upcoming 3.0 release, this RC does include come of the following changes:
- Over 25 bug fixes and improvements
- register_globals compatibility for PHP 4.3+ servers
- Visa PCI conformance of accepting credit card information on the checkout confirmation page
- Public titles for payment modules so the name of the payment service provider is not used as a payment method
- Maximum number of product quantities that can be added to the shopping cart (by default 99)
- New login routine for the Administration Tool (I'm anxious to try this out)
- New summary modules to display on the Administration Tool index page
- New web-based installation routine (backported from 3.0)
Download links and documentation can be found on the original announcement for this osCommerce release candidate found at osCommerce.